Saturday 5 May 2012

Mini-crisis at Rio de Janeiro


Next morning we set off for the airport to fly to Sao Paolo. Dubai airport is so big that it makes Singapore airport looks like a regional airport. Flight was a non-event, and we landed in Sao Paolo at about 1730hr. We then tried looking for a flight to Rio de Janeiro and it was really too expensive to fly. So eventually after 3 hours of deciding what to do, we took a taxi to Terminus Tiete in Sao Paolo and bought our bus tickets for an overnight 6 hour journey to Rio de Janeiro. 

It was really tiring to take an overnight bus ride after a 14 hour flight. At about 5 in the morning, the bus stopped at a terminal and both of us went to the washroom. After doing my personal business, I came out of the toilet and went to look at the bus. To my horror, the bus started to reverse and our 2 small backpacks are still on the bus. I started to run after the bus and bang at the rear of the bus with my fist. The driver did not hear me and was pulling away from me. With a stroke of fortune, the traffic light turn red and the bus had to stop. I caught up with the bus and shouted at the driver that my small backpacks are still on the bus. The weekly games of ultimate Frisbee, football and tennis have paid off, I can still run after a bus. 

Upon boarding the bus to look for the bags, I couldn’t find 1 of the bags. So, it is sayonara to 1 bag, and hopefully we can claim for insurance coverage at the end of the trip. We were stressed out for a while but reminded ourselves that there are no problems that cannot be solved. And we are also thankful that our bag which holds our computer and documents are not missing. Looking on the bright side of things will make the heart lighter. Lesson learnt - go to washroom one at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment